CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 4, 2004

El Campamento Icthus

Nov. 28 - Dec 3, 2004




This week at camp was really so awesome. It is the most fun I've had like that in a long time. There are so many things to talk about that I don't even know where to start. I'm not sure if I should go by days or just tell stories. I'll try to keep it as organized as I can and not be too boring.



When we arrived Sunday evening, we met our cabinmates and were given instructions to name ourselves and create a theme. The camp's theme was 'The War of the Galaxies'. So, my cabin became the space cadets.





This was our cabin. It was nice, considering. The first two days there was no hot water and this water was not just cold, it was like dipping yourself into a bucket full of ice. After washing my hair, I got brain freeze!! Wednesday no one had a shower, but Thursday finally we had hot water. NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED!



The first night we had introduction to the theme. The 'war of the galaxies' represented the war between good and evil. All week we focused on preparing to defend ourselves against the enemy.





Danielle and I fighting our battle. So, right off everyone got to make fun of the gringas! :) Danielle was dressed as "evil" and I was "good"... hence the black and white garbage bags we were wearing. It was so funny because Rebeca wanted us to talk to each other as her and another counselor translated. It didn't matter what we said, because they were going to say whatever they wanted to get the point across. But once we got out there, our minds went blank. So, I said in a mean voice, "Why did the chicken cross the road?!?" Rebeka and Jisilla had the hardest time not laughing.




Monday, we started our 'basic training' against the enemy. We had different activities planned for us, and believe me, they were hard! After the first day, I thought surely I wouldn't make it until Friday. The day passed by so slowly, I thought Friday would never come! By Friday, I didn't want to leave.





This was 'La Silla'. It was so hard. I really thought I was going to hurt my back bad. I was even getting frustrated and wanted to quit... sound familiar?





Everyone was split into 3 groups for the week. In this activity, each member had to carried around the campo on this stick. This is Marìa, one of our girls.





This one is called 'Gelatina' and was super hard. We climbed uphill all connected by their feet. And in every group someone passed gas. Funny and gross because we were all so close. But the gelatina was definitely a highlight of the week. It was featured in many skits we did.





Poor Sandy couldn't really do it.





Our skits that night we based on what we learned from the day. But they all turned out to be comical and making fun of the things we had done and of the counselors. This is me being Rebeca during the gelatina. It was fun exaggerating and making fun of her. She loved it... even though she said she hates me now. :)





Danielle got to make fun of the other counselor, Jisilla. (not sure how that's spelled) But it was funny because Danielle doesn't speak hardly any Spanish, so her parts were always funny because of the mistakes too.



*sigh*



And that was just the first two days. I have so much more to write, but it is late and I am tired. I'm sure the story of this week will stretch out across another week.



More to come...

0 comments: