CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 24, 2004

Feliz Navidad

Well, it's Christmas Eve. Or 'Buena Noche' here in Guatemala. The sound of fireworks have already started, and have been going on since the beginning of December really. It's 11PM and the girls are just now eating their traditional meal of tamales. But... no thanks... none for me.




I keep thinking about how much I used to love Christmas Eve. I loved it more than Christmas morning. My moma, my sisters, and I would go to my Grandmother's house for dinner and gifts there with my mom's family. But afterwards was what was the funnest. My sisters and I would go back home, with their families, of course, and we would eat cheese dip and chips by candlelight and the light of the Christmas tree. Then we would have gifts from Moma and each other, stay up late, and just enjoy each other. Sometimes one sister would even stay the night. That was my favorite part of Christmas. Christmas Eve with Moma. I have missed her a lot today.



But, I do have something in common with these girls here. They too would love to spend Christmas with their families, but can't. I am at least lucky enough to talk to my family and now see them on webcam. They don't even have that. A few of them have had a mom or dad or both pass away. But we have come here together as a family to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and we do it joyfully. I will open gifts tonight with the girls and then tomorrow I will open the ones from my family on webcam.



I spent this week wrapping presents, painting nails, doing hair and straightening hair. It's been exhausting, but fun!!!! The girls are about to open presents, after the firework display. Pretty soon it will sound like a war zone around the city. Then the girls will stay up 'all night' or as late as they can. That's the Guatemalan tradition anyway.



Well, I feel like I'm making nonsense, so I'll stop here.



Merry Christmas to you all!!

0 comments: