CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Did I mention that one of the volcanos that we can see from our balcony is erupting? It has been now for a few days. It's really cool to see at sunrise, when it's light, but the sun still isn't so strong. You can see it really well then. At night, it's just a tiny orange light in, what seems to be, the middle of the sky, because you can't see the volcano at all. Agua is the biggest volcano in our view. Pacaya and one I can't pronounce are smaller, to the left, and right beside each other. There's another nearby, that you can't see from here called Fuego. It too is active, but not at the moment. During the day, you can see Pacaya puffing smoke out the top of her, like a chiminey.




It's unreal to me sometimes that I am looking out of the back of my house, looking at a volcano. Who'd a thunk it?



You know what else has changed about me? I will eat, or at least try once, any type of food. Especially typical Guatemalan food. I used to not like boiled or fried eggs, now I'll eat 'em like I get 'em. What else? ... oatmeal and cream of wheat... never would even try them until I came here and now I like them both; cream of wheat a little more... well, I've tried every food they have served me here at least once and liked most of it. I've never been too picky of an eater, but I like what I like, you know? I've learned how to tortillar, which is a Spanish verb meaning, 'to make tortillas'. Can you believe there's a verb just for that?



But believe it or not, the first thing I want to eat when I get home is Mexican food. I want an enchilada. I've only had Mexican food once while here and that has been awhile. Since Jill left even. You'd be surprised at how non-Mexican the food here is. People assume that all Central American countries eat the same things, which is true to some extent, like with tortillas, beans, and rice being a main source of food. But your typical runofthemill Mexican food, is only found in Mexican restaurants.. even here.



Contrary to popular belief, not all people who speak Spanish are Mexican, and those who aren't don't appreciate being called that way. That's just a pet peave of mine. (how do you spell 'peave' anyway?)



So, now I'm sitting here talking about food and eating pizza that Rebeca and I ordered. Domino's has a 'new' double decker that is thinner that most thin crusts I've ever seen. Funny. It's good though. It has cream cheese in the middle. We ordered the one called 'Margarita', that has mushrooms, sliced tomatos, and... cheese. It's good. I love tomatos.

0 comments: