CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Tecpán

Yesterday, we took the girls on a field trip to Mayan ruins in Tecpán and Spanish ruins in Antigua. We were meant to leave by 8, which turned into 8:40, so even from the get-go we were running late. The trip to Tecpán went smoothly. The girls were excited to see where I used to work, since we passed Casa Aleluya on the way, I was able to show them.




We arrived, and can you believe that the entry fee for 'gringos' is 25 Quetzales and for Guatemalans it is only 2!! Raúl was able to talk them into a small discount since we were from a children's home. We ate a small snack of fresh fruit, and ran for the ruins. I've been before about 5 years ago, but it seemed better kept now than before. We had a ball with the girls, climbing up and over the pyramids and temples. It really is a neat experience, that I believe I take for granted sometimes.



We ate lunch at their picnic area, where I slid down a hill and landed hard on my bum and scraped a big hole into the palm of my hand. My hand still really hurts. I'm just trying to keep it clean. After lunch we headed to Antigua.



We soon discovered that it wasn't going to be as easy as it sounded. When we arrived in Chimaltenengo, we were abruptly stopped by traffic. We were there for over 2 hours. For those of you who don't know, driving straight through Chimaltenengo is about the same as driving straight down the parkway straight through Huntsville... not even..., Hazel Green, and it took us over 2 hours!! We thought we weren't going to be able to go to Antigua, but Joanne gave us some extra time. But we were too late. All of the ruins were closed either on Mondays, or by 5pm. It was a fun trip though, but I am so tired!

0 comments: